Thursday, February 18, 2010

Porsche Radio Blanking Plate. Trompe L'oeil.








After removing about 60lbs of high-end stereo equipment from Schwartzie, I was not in the mood to replace it. Besides, with the M&K muffler, it is not the most sonically pleasant environment to listen to NPR or Coldplay or Lady Ga Ga or anything.

So, left with a gaping whole where the headunit used to reside, I needed to find a solution. Often, people just put in a metal plate with a Porsche badge. Boring. I thought I could do a little Trompe L'oeil magic though. Dropping some mad art terms here. But, basically it means fool the eye. 

So, I printed out a photo of a Blaupunkt face plate. Cleaned up the display in photoshop and then added the station call letters, "Flat Six", because that is what is always playing.

I've gone ahead and attached the properly sized files so you can replicate this idea yourself. I've included a blank one as well so you could add in your own text. Even if you don't have Photoshop, you could drop in some text in any number of programs including MS Word. Just click on the photo to get the full size image.

I then printed out the file. Shaped a piece of modeling pine to friction fit in the opening. I then used Mod Podge to decoupage the printout onto the opening. This also makes the print super durable and cleanable. I did eight coats of Mod Podge.

Hit me with any questions, enjoy and the raucous sounds of WSTT, Flat Six radio.

No comments: