Monday, October 26, 2009

Push on aka Ready Seep Fittings

\
I installed the Mocal oil cooler in my 944 about two months ago. It performed well in the 3-hour enduro I ran except for the fact  that is sprayed a fine mist of oil over the entire passenger side of my engine. 

Oil leaks are really frustrating. So I needed to track this one down.

At first, I tracked it down to one of the push on fittings that connected to the sandwich plate. I took off the offending house and redid the line with a new piece of aeroquip hose. Boiling water to soften the hose and making sure to push the fitting all the way on. Put this on the car. Fire it up. Now, a new leak.

This leak was where the adapter screwed into the sandwich plate proper. No instruction said to use thread sealant on this connection. But you should. Again, hose off. I did both adapters even though only one was leaking. Hoses back on. Warm it up again. 

Ahhhhhh! Another leak from the hose/connector connection. The oil just seeped past the barbs and out the top. I threw some hose clamps on as close to the end of the hose as possible. Still leaked. I went and bought two new fittings to see if this would do it. It didn't.

Now, I am determined to get this fixed so I go to Pirtek and am set to have them make up some heavy duty hoses. Well, their heavy duty options was Space Shuttle ready for sure but would never fit in the tight space I had. After an hour, really the guy I worked with was great, he just cut my aeroquip hose off and redid the hose with their pushon/socketless hose. Total cost, $1.28. Not kidding.

He also told me that "sometimes they just leak". And if I used a hose clamp to put it on the first, farthest away from the end, barb. Which was the opposite of where I was placing the clamp. Well, I did that, and for now, no  leaks. 

Pending good weather it will be race tested on November 1st. So what I learned about socketless fittings.

1. Use lots of lube/oil to get the fitting all the way to the end.
2. Put hose clamps as far down as possible on the fittings.
3. Be prepared to track down leaks and keep checking tightness.

picture from speedwaymotors.com

No comments: