Monday, February 23, 2009

Sweet Vermouth Not Just for Over Weight Women



I have been boringly devoted to the Brown Bomber lately. Posting about bringing it up to track ready condition with a determination only a coal miner with 9 children usually musters.

But, I thought I should share a drink secret of mine that those of you who take a taste of the browner waters might enjoy. It is Carpano Antica Formula vermouth. And it is no regular sweet vermouth.

I know, you imagine (at least I do), Shelley Winters in Poseidon being the sort that would tip back a rocks glass of sweet vermouth. But, she would knock down to the bottom a bottle of Martini and Rossi. She would not even recognize Carpano. It is less sweet. More complex. There is a pronounced herbal quality to it that says, "Hey Bourbon, you have taken the lead role in Manhattans for far too long."

I use it, as noted above, in Manhattans. In a more summery drink, the Negroni. And, when the tummy is tumbling, I press Carpano into service as a digestif. When do I most often enjoy Carpano? When one of the Porsches challenges me to repair its engineering. 

It is worth finding.

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."


No comments: